Animals – dogs and cats especially – are extremely curious. And, when it comes to food, they are that much more curious. They love to beg for food, whatever food you may be cooking. While they are cute when begging, there are some foods that their little tummies just cannot handle. And, there are some foods that are downright toxic and fatal to them.
If you have a canine or feline friend you want to keep in good health, here is a list of foods you should avoid giving them.
Alcohol will quickly absorb into the bloodstream. When you ingest alcohol, it can lead to a serious decline in an animal’s blood sugar and blood pressure levels, and drop their body temperature as well. Animals who are intoxicated may suffer from seizures and/or respiratory failure. Many unsuspecting, well-intentioned owners don’t know that desserts with yeast-containing dough or alcohol are huge culprits.
2.Bones and Fat Trimmings
Dogs do not need to eat the table scraps you don’t eat. Fat from these meats – whether cooked or uncooked – can lead to pancreatitis. While bones may appear natural for dogs, they can actually choke on them. Bones may become splintered, causing lacerations in the digestive system.
Your pet should never have anything contains caffeine – tea, coffee, chocolate, and dietary pills – since they can affect their nervous system, heart, intestines and stomach. Caffeine-ingested symptoms include:
- Increase of blood pressure
- Increase in heart rate
- Increase in urination
- Muscle twitching
- Extreme panting
Chocolate comes in all kinds, and each type has its own level of caffeine, fat and other substances. The darker the chocolate, the higher the toxicity level. Based on the kind and the amount of chocolate your dog consumes, they could suffer from hyperactivity, vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, seizures, tremors and arrhythmias.
5.Foods High In Fat
High-fat foods may cause your dog to suffer from diarrhea and vomiting. Another problem they may have is pancreatitis. Certain canine breeds are more susceptible to this than others – Shetland sheepdogs, miniature schnauzers and Yorkshire terriers. Don’t give your canine any fast food leftovers, greasy foods or junk food.
There are certain fruits like plums, peaches and persimmons that contain seeds or pits, which can lead to small intestinal inflammation or even intestinal blockage. Plum and peach pits also have cyanide in them, poisonous to dogs and humans if broken apart and eaten.
Raisins and grapes may also lead to acute renal failure in your canine friend. When this happens, they may be unable to pee and filter toxins in their body. It’s not known why this happens, but too much of it can lead to deadly consequences for your animal
You may be tempted to give your dog a bite of the ice cream, but dairy products can cause a host of digestive problems since they can’t handle lactose.
Wild mushrooms may grow in your backyard or along the nature trail where you tend to walk your dog. These mushrooms have toxins that can trigger an array of organ systems such as the brain, kidneys and liver. With abnormalities in the nervous system, your dog may vomit, experience seizures, go into a coma or die.
Most people store nutmeg in the pantry with other possible dangerous things for their pets. Nutmeg is a spicy scent that dogs love. And, high doses of it can be deadly. If your dog has gotten into the nutmeg, watch out for seizures, tremors and nervous system abnormalities.
Nuts can be found in cookies and candies, and it’s food you shouldn’t give your pet. One of the more commonly searched items pet owners make is to find out of nuts are safe for their dogs. The answer is no. They’re not. Almonds, pistachios and non-moldy walnuts will cause their stomach to become upset, or they could suffer a blockage in their intestines or throat. Plus, moldy peanuts can be deadly to animals. Some signs of nut ingestion include muscle loss, vomiting and lethargy.
11.Garlic and Onions
Garlic, like leeks and chives, is a part of the Allium, which is deadly to felines and canines. Garlic is extremely potent, like onions, because it leads to oxidative impairment to the red blood cells and causes an upset stomach such as diarrhea and vomiting. They may also cause anemia, lethargy, increased heart rate and respiratory rate, weakness, pale gums and more.
Onions have an ingredient known as thiosulphate, a toxin to animals. Anything with onions including onion powder can lead to a condition known as hemolytic anemia or damage to red blood cells. Red blood cells will burst when the animal has ingested, even a minute amount of, onions.
The onset of both food poisonings may be delayed, with no apparent signs for a number of days. However, it’s important to seek veterinary care right away if you think your animal has ingested onions.
How many times have you dropped an egg on the floor and your canine was sitting nearby? You do not want your dog eating the raw eggs for two reasons:
- They may get salmonella or E. coli
- It raw eggs could cause a biotin deficiency leading to skin and coat problems
It’s better to feed your dog cooked eggs.
13.Raw Fish and Meat
Both raw fish and meat may have bacteria that can lead to food poisoning. Some fish types – trout, salmon, sturgeon and shad – may have a parasite that will lead to fish disease. If untreated, it can be deadly after two weeks of consumption. Vomiting, big lymph nodes and fever are tell-tale signs of the disease. Make sure to cook the fish thoroughly to kill the parasite.
This is a vegetable that has oxalates, which can lead to abnormalities in the nervous system, digestive tract and kidneys. It’s often seen in recipes for juice, sauces, jellies, pies and jams.
Most people don’t know it but table salt is deadly to a pet, and it doesn’t typically come in the form of table scraps. Rather, the salt toxicity dogs get comes from eating play dough, drinking an excessive amount of ocean salt water or eating paintballs. Signs of salt toxicity include seizures and poor coordination. It may also lead to brain swelling, which is why you should seek immediate veterinary care for your canine friend.
This is a sugar substitute that’s often seen in sugarless gum, mouthwash, toothpaste and many other products. However, it’s also found in baked goods and candies. It’s useful for people with diabetes and people who are on a low-carb diet.
Still, it’s not healthy for your dog or cat to consume.
Ingesting this sugar substitute will lead to a quick release of insulin and lead to hypoglycemia. This will then lead to weakness, vomiting and possibly seizures. It may even cause liver failure. One stick of gum that contains xylitol gum may be deadly to a 20-pound canine.
When animals eat unbaked dough, it can cause the yeast to grow the bread inside their stomach or intestines. When yeast ferments, it can cause gas, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, twisted stomach and bloat. Some yeast dough can become alcohol, which boosts the signs of alcohol toxicity and lethargy.