17 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dogs

11.Garlic and Onions

Garlic, like leeks and chives, is a part of the Allium, which is deadly to felines and canines. Garlic is extremely potent, like onions, because it leads to oxidative impairment to the red blood cells and causes an upset stomach such as diarrhea and vomiting. They may also cause anemia, lethargy, increased heart rate and respiratory rate, weakness, pale gums and more.

Onions have an ingredient known as thiosulphate, a toxin to animals. Anything with onions including onion powder can lead to a condition known as hemolytic anemia or damage to red blood cells. Red blood cells will burst when the animal has ingested, even a minute amount of, onions.

The onset of both food poisonings may be delayed, with no apparent signs for a number of days. However, it’s important to seek veterinary care right away if you think your animal has ingested onions.


12.Raw Eggs

How many times have you dropped an egg on the floor and your canine was sitting nearby? You do not want your dog eating the raw eggs for two reasons:

  • They may get salmonella or E. coli
  • It raw eggs could cause a biotin deficiency leading to skin and coat problems

It’s better to feed your dog cooked eggs.

raw fish and meat

13.Raw Fish and Meat

Both raw fish and meat may have bacteria that can lead to food poisoning. Some fish types – trout, salmon, sturgeon and shad – may have a parasite that will lead to fish disease. If untreated, it can be deadly after two weeks of consumption. Vomiting, big lymph nodes and fever are tell-tale signs of the disease. Make sure to cook the fish thoroughly to kill the parasite.



This is a vegetable that has oxalates, which can lead to abnormalities in the nervous system, digestive tract and kidneys. It’s often seen in recipes for juice, sauces, jellies, pies and jams.



Most people don’t know it but table salt is deadly to a pet, and it doesn’t typically come in the form of table scraps. Rather, the salt toxicity dogs get comes from eating play dough, drinking an excessive amount of ocean salt water or eating paintballs. Signs of salt toxicity include seizures and poor coordination. It may also lead to brain swelling, which is why you should seek immediate veterinary care for your canine friend.



This is a sugar substitute that’s often seen in sugarless gum, mouthwash, toothpaste and many other products. However, it’s also found in baked goods and candies. It’s useful for people with diabetes and people who are on a low-carb diet.

Still, it’s not healthy for your dog or cat to consume.

Ingesting this sugar substitute will lead to a quick release of insulin and lead to hypoglycemia. This will then lead to weakness, vomiting and possibly seizures. It may even cause liver failure. One stick of gum that contains xylitol gum may be deadly to a 20-pound canine.

raw yeast dough on a wooden board

17.Yeast Dough

When animals eat unbaked dough, it can cause the yeast to grow the bread inside their stomach or intestines. When yeast ferments, it can cause gas, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, twisted stomach and bloat. Some yeast dough can become alcohol, which boosts the signs of alcohol toxicity and lethargy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.