The Top Ten Poisonous Household Items for Your Dog

Could you have a toxin in your home and not even know it?

It can be a terrifying experience when your dog has decided to eat something poisonous, but also a fairly common one for dog owners – in fact, there are over 10,000 cases of pet poisoning every year in the U.S, and the substances that are usually responsible for making our canine companions so sick are usually common household items that seem completely harmless to us.

In fact, many of these poisons include food or pharmaceuticals that we, as humans, use every single day.

It can be difficult for owners to tell just how a poison may affect their pet – every dog reacts differently to toxin ingestion, depending on the substance they ate or inhaled and how much of the poison actually entered their body.

Symptoms of poisoning in our furry canine friends can range from digestive symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea, to neurological problems, tremors, heart abnormalities, breathing difficulties, coma, and even death.

Here’s a guide to the most common poisons ingested by dogs, and their effects.


Products that kill the tiniest types of pests can also be highly dangerous for our pups in some cases. Over the counter flea and tick products can be potentially poisonous for your dog if they accidentally eat them, or if they’re given the wrong dosage.

Insecticides applied to lawns or around the house can be highly toxic for your pets as well.