The Top Ten Poisonous Household Items for Your Dog

People Food

Those big brown eyes are staring at you, and you might be extremely tempted to just slip your dog the last bit of your dinner under the table – what’s the harm, right?

Well, actually, besides the fact that you’re likely to make your dog fat, giving them certain human foods can be dangerous for their health, and even deadly in some cases. Here’s a list of human foods you should avoid giving to your pleasing pup – no matter what.

Your canine companion may look so cute as he sits there begging for a bite of your chocolate cake or a chip covered in guacamole, but not giving him what he wants could save his life. Animals have different metabolisms than people.

Some foods, such as onions and garlic, as well as beverages that are perfectly safe for people can be dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.

Onions and garlic – Can cause blood cell and platelet disorders

Chocolate, coffee and caffeine – Causes stomach upset, hyperactivity, seizures, and even death. Dark chocolate is more dangerous – only a few ounces can be fatal to smaller dogs

Alcohol – Can cause vomiting, breathing issues, coma and death.

Avocado – This one surprises a lot of people, but avocados have persin in them, a substance toxic to our pooches.

Macadamia nuts – These tasty tree nuts can cause weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and increased body temperature

Grapes and raisins – For unknown reasons, raisins and grapes, even in small amounts, can potentially cause severe kidney damage or failure, even death

Xylitol – This common artificial sweetener is found in so many different things, including sugar free gum, candy and toothpaste.

It can cause a fast and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar, causing weakness, seizures, and sometimes liver failure.

Lawn and garden products

A perfect green lawn has the potential to be perilous for your pup – products like fertilizer, weed control chemicals, cocoa bean much and compost can be highly dangerous substances for your dog to get into.

These can cause digestive upset, tremors, heart abnormalities, and even death.