The Top Ten Poisonous Household Items for Your Dog

tulip bulbs and daffodil bulbs


As pretty as those flowers may be, they may be a hidden hazard for your four-legged friend. While some only cause mild symptoms, other lovely leafy specimens are deadly for dogs.

Some of the most toxic plants for our pups to ingest are:

Azaleas and rhododendrons – Can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma

Tulips and daffodils – Bulbs can cause digestive upset, seizures, and abnormal heart rate in dogs

Sago palms – Even eating just the seeds can cause your dog to vomit, have seizures, or even experience liver failure

Yew – This delightful looking, decorative shrub can cause some very serious side effects, like tremors, uncoordination, breathing problems, and in severe cases, heart failure and death


No one wants pests like rats and mice around, but leaving rodent poison around for your dog to find can have a whole other set of unpleasant consequences; dogs have also ingested these poisons when they’ve been around barns, garages, or even park and wildlife areas too, however.

The symptoms depend on the type of poison – some can cause more serious problems than others – and they may not even appear until days after your pup has eaten the toxic substance.

Common symptoms of ingestion can include vomiting, weakness, and nosebleeds or bloody urine (this is because some types of rodenticides will cause internal bleeding).