The Top Ten Poisonous Household Items for Your Dog

My Dog Has Eaten Something Bad, Now What?

So what should you do if you think that your dog may have eaten something poisonous? First of all, stay calm – your dog is relying on you to help them, and getting upset will only make your pup panic.

Pick up any of the substance that’s left, or the bottle it came in, in order to show your veterinarian exactly what your furry friend has eaten.

Quickly check your dog over and write down the symptoms they’re showing, when they ate the substance, and how much of it they ingested – these will all be helpful details when it comes to providing accurate treatment later.

Then, call your veterinarian immediately, or the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline – they’ll be able to recommend the best course of action to start helping your pup.

House-Proofing for Poison Prevention

Ultimately, the most effective way to prevent your favorite furry friend from getting into trouble from toxic substances is to keep them safely out of reach – a no brainer, right? Here are some concrete ways to keep your pup’s paws off harmful household products.

Child proof’ means nothing to a dog that can easily open bottles with sharp teeth and strong jaws. Lock all medication in pet-proof cabinets or cupboard, and supervise children and seniors while they take medications so that they don’t accidentally drop it, giving your pup the perfect opportunity to snatch it.

Follow the exact guidelines on any medication for your pet – whether it’s prescribed pills or over-the-counter flea treatment.

Never hesitate to ask your vet about whether a product is safe or not!

Keep a list of potentially toxic foods on your fridge, and if your dog happens to be a counter surfer or table-side moocher, keep them crated or in another room if you’re preparing or serving food that could be dangerous for them.

Cleaning supplies, soaps, vehicle maintenance fluids and rodent poisons are best kept under lock and key as well, in an area of the house or the garage that your dog has absolutely no access to. ‘Better safe than sorry’ is an appropriate phrase in this situation!

If you prefer a little greenery around your house, choose plants that are going to be non-toxic for your pup in case they decide to have a little nibble.

Although accidents do sometimes happen despite our best efforts, for most situations, using a bit of common sense when it comes to keeping your dog safe and keeping toxic items secure and out of reach can keep you from having to make that frantic call to poison control when your dog eats something dangerous!